Friday, August 11, 2006

Online Dating - I think I prefer feathers and a mating dance.

Online dating. Ah, yes. Of course online dating makes perfect sense when you think about it -- a hi-tech version of the old personal ad, only you reach a much broader audience. That, combined with computer dating technology, makes it all very logical.

Whether it's good for you psychologically is another matter. However, I'm not really interested in debating it or decrying its merits. Online dating is a fact. And until something better comes along, it's here to stay.

I'm only going to relate my experiences here, and what I've learned about myself and my fellow man (or, woman, in my case) in the process.

The idea of online dating was first suggested by a boss of mine when I told him that my marriage was ending. He put it quite bluntly: "You need a girlfriend. You ought to go on match.com."

At first the idea was appalling to me. I hated thinking of myself as being that desperate. Besides, my marriage wasn't even officially over. So I shrugged it off.

The only person I knew at the time who had gone in for online dating was this twenty-something year-old girl in my office named Tamra. Tamra would actually review potential candidates aloud from her cube. "This guy's too fat. This guy's too short. This guy doesn't make enough money." No one was good enough. I remember thinking, "Poor bastards, why would anyone subject themselves to that?"

And when she did finally date somebody, I remember how the guy was always a liar. "He didn't look anything like his picture. He doesn't even have a job." And so on.

One guy she went out with took her to a strip club. I thought that was funny.

But about a year later, when my marriage WAS officially over, things weren't quite so funny. And one day, while doing a web search for single parent support groups, I instead came across an online dating site.

More later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home